Street Outreach Specialist
Thurston County, WA
Type of Job
Part Time Volunteer
March 31, 2020, 9:00:00 PM
About the job
- Street Outreach Counselors: This position provides outreach and navigation services to street youth aged 13-25 who are homeless or experiencing housing insecurity. Assist homeless kids on the streets as well as build a relationship and learn about the kids, their street lives and how to help them. It is important to build a trusting a relationship with the kids and this requires consistent outreach efforts—at least once a week. They will gradually begin to trust you as you listen, support and help them and eventually, you will become instrumental in their return to a life off the streets.
Outreach counselor’s work with youth on the streets:
1. Encourage the youth and let them know that we are there for them and that there are better alternatives
2. Inform the youth of available resources and services
3. Help the youth find a job
4. Provide the youth with food and hygiene products
5. Teach the youth necessary life skills to help get them off the streets
Street Outreach Assist homeless kids to build a relationship and learn about the kids, their street lives and how to help them.
1. Lunches and snacks.
2. Message and mail services.
3. Youth Life Skills
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
Active Listener--to pay attention, understand, respond and remember what is being said in the context of intonation, timing, and non-verbal cues (body language)
People-oriented -- enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
Achievement-oriented -- enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
Autonomous/Independent -- enjoys working with little direction
Committed, caring, compassionate
3hr week/ 6 months
Must be 18yr to work with the outreach team(s)
Ability to pass and maintain a background check
Current WA Driver’s License and auto insurance for frequent travel throughout the county to meet and transport participants. Clear driving record is required
Lived experience with homelessness
Motivational interviewing skills and training in Trauma-Informed Care
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Other cultural competencies that contribute to the agency’s effectiveness is serving diverse population
Excellent communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills
Brings fun and fulfillment to your life.
Developing management skills
Making our communities better to live and love
Learn how the best in the business do what they do
Get an idea for their future career path
Build self-confidence and develop a sense of responsibility
Learn basic work skills such as collaboration, interviewing and working with different colleagues
We are 100% volunteer led team of passionate people who are to support and help the youth on the streets to go from thriving to surviving through care, compassionate, committed adults in our communities. We adhere to our values of Compassion, Community (engaging individuals, building alliances), Commitment, Hope, Trust, Love, Respect, and Integrity. We love to have fun enjoying every moment we have with team members, youth, and our communities. We would love to have you a part of this team.
Olympia, WA, USA